Asian Chilli Chicken is a fast hen dinner that’s an explosion of (spicy!) sticky, savoury Asian flavours. 287 energy of tasty goodness in eight minutes flat!
Asian Chilli Chicken
Calling a dish “Asian”-something all the time feels a little bit generic, a lazy label that folks appear to make use of loosely if a recipe occurs to comprise a splash of soy sauce.
I can guarantee you that there’s extra than simply soy sauce on this! Ginger, garlic, chilli, sesame, sriracha and lime juice all make the roll name of substances. While it will not be strictly conventional to any explicit delicacies, the flavours nonetheless plant this fast hen recipe firmly within the “Asian” style in my e book.
It’s acquired a pleasant kick of spiciness to it however not “blow your head off” spicy, has a balanced sweet-savoury-tang and a touch of sesame to spherical issues off.
What you want for Asian Chilli Chicken
Here’s what you want:
- Chicken – Two breasts lower in half horizontally to type four steaks in complete. Alternatively, four to five boneless skinless hen thighs or about 500g/1lb hen tenderloins;
- Garlic and ginger – Aromatics for the flavour base;
- Chilli flakes aka crimson pepper flakes, and Sriracha – For the spice issue! I like to make use of each:
- Chilli flakes for the earthy heat, which is sautéed with the garlic and ginger;
- Sriracha – For the spiciness together with vinegar, garlic and different flavours which are within the sauce. Also, Sriracha thickens the sauce.
- Can’t deal with the warmth? Skip or cut back the chilli flakes and substitute among the Sriracha with ketchup. This offers the identical sauce thickening qualities. Yes, the spicy sauce on the finish might be extra candy however will nonetheless have the savoury / tangy qualities of the bottom recipe – and nonetheless be delish!
- Honey – For the sweetness. You can substitute with sugar or maple syrup;
- Sesame – For that nutty flavour;
- Soy sauce – For salt and a little bit of flavour. Use all-purpose or mild soy sauce right here. Don’t use something labelled “dark soy sauce” (it’s too darkish and intense for this recipe) nor “sweet soy sauce” (too candy). More on totally different soy sauces right here;
- Lime (or rice vinegar) – For the tang; and
- Rice flour or simply bizarre wheat flour (plain/all-purpose) – To mud the hen. This creates a light-weight crust that the sauce can clings to. Without it, the sauce simply sort of slips off the pores and skin.
How to make Asian Chilli Chicken
This hen takes eight minutes to cook dinner: four minutes for the hen itself, then four minutes for the sauce. If it takes any longer than that, you’ve overcooked the hen – nooooo!!!
- Season hen – Sprinkle the hen with salt and pepper, and a light-weight dusting of flour;
- Pan-sear hen till golden. For hen this skinny, it shouldn’t be any longer than 2 minutes per facet;
- Sauté aromatics – Remove the hen. In the identical pan sauté garlic, ginger and chilli flakes till they’re golden and odor superb. But don’t inhale too deeply in any other case the chilli will ship you off on a coughing match!
- Add sauce substances – Now add the Sriracha, honey, soy sauce and honey, and simmer for a few minutes till it reduces to a reasonably thick and syrupy consistency. Because there’s not a lot sauce, it is going to thicken in a short time;
- Add lime juice then let it simmer for a minute to thicken once more;
- Coat hen – Return hen to the pan and switch to coat within the sauce. You’re executed!
What to serve with Asian Chilli Chicken
There isn’t a great deal of sauce as a result of the flavour is kind of concentrated, nearly like a glaze. But there’s definitely sufficient to serve this with simply plain rice – white, brown or cauliflower rice for a low carb possibility.
For a flavoured rice facet, attempt certainly one of these:
The greens you spy on the facet of the plate are steamed child bok choy with oyster sauce dressing which, opposite to widespread perception, is extra than simply oyster sauce. Recipe right here.
And just a few extra facet salad soptions for you!
If you’re after a works-with-anything possibility, attempt my all-rounder Asian Sesame Dressing drizzled over actually any recent, steamed or in any other case cooked greens. You simply can’t go incorrect with that dressing! – Nagi x
PS. Once you’ve tried and liked this, make the shrimp/prawn model → Asian Chilli Garlic Prawns
Watch the best way to make it
Asian Chilli Chicken
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: eight minutes
Asian, Modern Asian
Tap or hover to scale
Season: Cut every hen breast in half horizontally to type four steaks complete. Sprinkle all sides with salt, pepper and rice flour, shaking off extra.
Pan-fry: Heat oil in a big skillet over excessive warmth. Add hen and cook dinner for two minutes. Turn and cook dinner the opposite facet for two minutes, then take away to a plate.
Sticky Chilli Sauce:
Sesame oil: Allow the skillet to chill a bit then return to the range on medium. Add sesame oil and warmth.
Garlic and ginger: Add garlic and ginger, cook dinner for 15 seconds.
Chilli flakes: Add chilli flakes and cook dinner for 30 seconds till garlic is golden.
Sriracha, soy and honey: Turn warmth as much as medium-high. Add water, sriracha, soy sauce and honey, stir effectively, scraping the bottom of the pan to dissolve all of the golden bits into the liquid.
Simmer for two minutes till it cut back to a thick syrup. Add lime juice, then simmer for an additional 30 seconds till it thickens again to a thick syrup.
Coat hen: Turn warmth off. Return hen to pan, turning to coat in sauce.
Serve hen, topping with remaining sauce in skillet, garnished with inexperienced onions, sesame seed and additional lime wedges, if desired.
- Thighs will take longer to cook dinner by, about four minutes on the primary facet, three minutes on the second facet;
- Tenderloins are (sometimes) smaller so they need to take the across the identical time as breast.
Internal temperature of cooked hen:
- Breast and tenderloin: 65°C / 150°F
- Thigh: 75°C / 167°F
2. Rice flour – Yields a pleasant, crispy crust onto which the sticky chilli sauce clings. Without it, the sauce simply slips off the hen. It’s not an enormous deal for those who don’t have it – sub plain/all function flour. Rice flour is simply barely crisper. 🙂
three. Sriracha – This provides spiciness in addition to different flavours corresponding to vinegar and garlic into the sauce, plus it thickens the sauce.
- If you need much less spicy, sub a few of it with ketchup. If you sub all of it, the dish turns into fairly candy so add a splash of additional lime to compensate (it’s additionally completely not what this recipe is meant to be, but it surely’s nonetheless tasty!)
- If you need spicy however don’t have sriracha, additionally sub with ketchup plus every other scorching sauce to style, or cayenne pepper or extra chilli flakes.
four. Soy sauce – Use all function or mild, don’t use darkish soy sauce (color and flavour too intense). More on totally different soy sauces right here.
5. Storage – Lean meats like breast and tenderloin are all the time greatest served freshly made. But it is going to hold for three – four days within the fridge. Best to reheat within the microwave, and gently, so that you don’t overcook it!
6. Nutrition per serving, assuming all sauce is consumed.
Calories: 287cal (14%)Carbohydrates: 21g (7%)Protein: 27g (54%)Fat: 11g (17%)Saturated Fat: 1g (6%)Trans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 80mg (27%)Sodium: 948mg (41%)Potassium: 522mg (15%)Fiber: 1g (four%)Sugar: 18g (20%)Vitamin A: 59IU (1%)Vitamin C: 13mg (16%)Calcium: 15mg (2%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
Just a few extra fast hen dinners
Life of Dozer
Just one other morning in Life of Dozer – dawn stroll alongside Pittwater.