To make baked fried rice, simply place raw rice, inventory, soy sauce and some different flavourings in a baking pan, give it a mixture then shove it within the oven. Out comes fluffy, seasoned fried rice that’s so good, you might by no means wok-toss fried rice ever once more!
(Well, perhaps not. Nothing beats the actual deal, in spite of everything. But this emergency model is wonderful for the minimal effort required!)
Emergency baked fried rice
OK, you’re proper, this isn’t fried rice per se! It’s a baked rice. But I name it a baked fried rice as a result of it’s all the things we love about fried rice, with out the frying! It will prevent on all these nights if you’re scrambling for a fast facet dish that can go along with nearly all the things and please everybody.
Unlike the regular method fried rice is cooked, there’s no must plan forward and cook dinner rice the day earlier than in order that it has time to dry out in a single day within the fridge. You don’t even want to cut something (hi there, frozen veg!).
Just dump all the things within the pan – raw rice, inventory, frozen pre-chopped greens, uncooked bacon – then whack it within the oven. There’s no must stir whereas cooking – actually, I forbid it, as a result of it makes the rice mushy!
And for all that effort, you may be rewarded with THIS ↓↓↓ (“this” being a giant pan of fluffy seasoned fried rice that’s affected by greens and oh wow, even the bacon is sweet and golden!!🙌🏻)
Ingredients for baked fried rice
This is a wonderful recipe to customize and make your personal, with plenty of choices for altering up add-ins! Here’s what I exploit on this baked fried rice recipe:
Rice – Best made with lengthy grain white rice as a result of it’s the least sticky. This means you get that good, crumbly and fluffy fried rice texture with this “dump ‘n bake” cooking technique.
Other rice varieties that work:
→ Basmati rice: Has the identical fluffy texture however you get the basmati aroma (it’s not conventional with fried rice seasoning, however it’s moderately good!)
→ Medium and brief grain white rice: Works completely however these rices are a bit stickier so don’t count on fairly the identical rice texture you see within the video (it would clump slightly extra).
→ Jasmine rice: Reduce water by 1/four cup (water to rice ratio is decrease, see right here for cooking plain jasmine rice).
This recipe gained’t work as-written for the next: Brown rice, paella or risotto rice, wild rice, quinoa or different speciality rices. I’d want to determine particular liquid/rice ratios and bake instances, which I’ve not accomplished!
Stock/broth – Chicken inventory will give a greater flavour (it’s not chicken-y as such, it has only a extra deeply seasoned flavour), however vegetable inventory works simply advantageous too. Whichever you utilize, be certain that it’s low sodium in any other case the rice finally ends up a tad saltier than is right.
Don’t have liquid inventory? Use water plus inventory powder. Make up 2 cups in accordance with the inventory powder instructions and use per the recipe.
Vegetables – Because that is conceived as a recipe for “dinner emergencies”, I’ve used frozen diced greens right here. Fresh greens can be utilized, however you’ll want to extend the water by 1/four cup as a result of the liquid to rice ratio components within the water that comes off the frozen greens (a stunning quantity!).
Garlic – I can’t ever think about making any kind of fried rice with out garlic. And that features an emergency baked model!
Bacon (raw) or ham – Just like we do in wok tossed fried rice! Here, it’s scattered throughout the floor and it provides flavour into the inventory because it cooks.
There’s no must cook dinner the bacon beforehand, it would brown on the finish after we end the rice off uncovered within the oven.
Soy sauce – I’ve used mild soy sauce right here which provides seasoning with out discolouring the rice an excessive amount of. All goal soy sauce will work simply advantageous too.
Dark soy sauce – It’s way more intense in flavour so use half the amount and be ready to your rice to be a lot browner in color.
Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine) – provides umami / depth of flavour which is necessary for this technique of cooking that skips the standard “sauté garlic and onion” and so on.
Best substitute – Dry sherry, adopted by cooking sake, adopted by mirin (although rice will probably be a contact sweeter).
Non alcoholic possibility – Skip the wine and add an additional half of tbsp of soy sauce PLUS add 30g / 2 tbsp of unsalted butter with the sesame (butter compensates for lack of flavour from skipping the cooking wine). It’s not the identical, however equally scrumptious!
Pepper – For a contact of heat. White pepper is often used for fried rice as a result of you may’t see it. Substitute with black pepper.
Sesame oil & inexperienced onion – For ending. We add sesame oil on the finish to protect the flavour, and the inexperienced onion is tossed via on the finish for a success of freshness and color.
How to make baked fried rice
Are you able to see how straightforward it’s??
Put the raw rice into the baking pan;
Add all the things else besides the bacon;
Give it a mixture, then scatter the bacon throughout the floor (as a result of we wish it to get some color after we bake it uncovered);
Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes at 200°C / 390°F (180°C fan);
Remove foil and bake for an extra 15 minutes. This provides the bacon some good color;
Stand for 10 minutes. Then add sesame oil and inexperienced onion, fluff with a fork then serve!
Here’s a pleasant shut up for you so you may see how the grains are fluffy and separated, and the way the bacon bits are beautiful and golden.
No mushy, overcooked rice in sight!
What to serve with baked fried rice
Serve to accompany dishes you’d with fried rice, which nowadays is much and past simply Asian meals! Try it with the Mushroom Stuffed Chicken I shared a few weeks in the past, or as a facet for a fillet of seasoned pan fried fish.
Pair it with one thing sticky like this Chilli Chicken, Honey Garlic Chicken or a tropical Hawaiian Huli-Huli hen. For vegetarian choices, skip the bacon and as an alternative, pile over juicy and buttery garlic mushrooms or a medley of marinated grilled greens.
The guidelines are: there are not any guidelines! This is a rice facet that can go along with nearly something, Asian or not! – Nagi x
PS. I simply had a fleeting thought. If you’d like to show this right into a meal, attempting stirring via a giant handful of child spinach or chopped English spinach when fluffing it up on the finish. By upping the veg on this, it could be nice as a meal!
Watch make it
Emergency “Dump ‘n Bake” Fried Rice
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Rice, Side Dish
Servings5 – 6
Tap or hover to scale
Baked Fried Rice:
- 1 half of cups lengthy grain white rice , UNCOOKED (Note 1)
- 2 cups hen or veg inventory , low sodium
- 1 half of tbsp mild soy sauce (Note 2)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (dry sherry, mirin or sake, Note three)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced with crusher (straight into pan)
- 2 cups frozen diced veg (carrots, peas, corn combine, Note four contemporary veg)
- 1/four tsp white pepper
- 1 1/four cups / 180g bacon (raw) or ham , chopped (I exploit retailer purchased chopped bacon, Note 5)
Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F (180°C fan).
Mix substances in baking dish: Place all Baked Fried Rice substances besides bacon in a baking dish (~22 x 32cm / 9 x 13″). Stir, then unfold rice evenly throughout pan.
Top with bacon: Scatter bacon throughout floor.
Bake lined 40 min: Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes.
Bake uncovered 15 min: Remove foil. Bake uncovered 15 minutes – this may color the bacon. Liquid ought to be absorbed, rice ought to be cooked (however will appear moist, will take in and soften whereas resting).
Rest 10 min: Cover loosely with foil, stand for 10 minutes.
Fluff: Add inexperienced onion and sesame oil. Fluff rice with fork, marvel at how completely cooked the rice grains are. Serve!
1. Rice varieties – Best made with lengthy grain rice as a result of it’s the least sticky so that you get that good crumbly, fluffy fried rice texture with this “dump ‘n bake” cooking technique. Other rice varieties that work:
- Basmati rice – similar fluffy texture however you get the basmati aroma (it’s not conventional with fried rice seasoning, however it’s moderately good!)
- Medium and brief grain white rice – works completely however the rice is a bit stickier (that’s the best way it’s) so don’t count on the identical rice texture you see within the video (it would clump slightly extra).
- Jasmine rice – scale back water by 1/four cup (water to rice ratio is decrease, see right here for cooking plain jasmine rice).
Recipe gained’t work as written for: brown rice, paella or risotto rice, wild rice, quinoa or different speciality rices. I’d want to determine liquid/rice ratios and bake instances.
No must rinse rice first except you’re involved about rice cleanliness (rice in packets at grocery shops ought to be advantageous, I by no means rinse). If you rinse, scale back water by 2 tbsp.
2. Light soy sauce – provides flavour and salt with out staining the rice. Ordinary all goal soy may also be used. Do not use darkish soy sauce – flavour is just too sturdy and sauce will probably be very darkish. See right here for extra details about completely different soy sauces.
three. Chinese cooking wine – provides umami / depth of flavour which is necessary for this technique of cooking that skips the standard “sauté garlic and onion” and so on.
Best substitute – Dry sherry, adopted by cooking sake, then mirin (although rice will probably be a contact sweeter).
Non alcoholic sub – skip it and add an additional half of tbsp of soy sauce PLUS add 30g / 2 tbsp of unsalted butter with the sesame (butter compensates for lack of flavour from skipping the cooking wine).
four. Fresh veg – If you utilize contemporary as an alternative of frozen veg, add 1/four cup of water. Required as a result of frozen veg leech water as they cook dinner which is factored into water/rice ratio on this dish.
- Carrots, peas, corn, onion – use in recipe as written.
- Cauliflower, broccoli, inexperienced beans, asparagus, zucchini, capsicum/bell peppers (chopped) – add them 30 min into bake time.
I don’t suggest: eggplant, mushrooms (they gained’t color).
5. Bacon – Add it uncooked, it goes golden in the course of the uncovered baking half. Fattier bacon = higher golden = extra flavour added into rice.
Alternatives – ham (chunky chopped, not advantageous slices), Chinese sausage (finely sliced), smoked sausages (like kransky, why not? 🙂 ) Turkey bacon.
Vegetarian – go away it out, or strive fried tofu puffs (slice then scatter), in any other case garnish with about 1/four cup of retailer purchased crispy fried shallots or onion simply earlier than serving (crispy salty oily pops of goodness will add a pleasant hit of additional flavour!)
6. Add in choices: Oh, the chances!
- Egg – Cook individually and stir in when fluffing rice. Either scramble, or make ribbons (cook dinner a skinny omelette utilizing 2 whisked eggs, roll it up like a cigar then finely slice)
- Cooked hen (or different cooked protein), char siu – cube or shred, toss on high of rice when resting (residual warmth will heat up), then combine via properly fluffing rice.
- Raw prawns/shrimp – small ones. When you take away the foil, scatter them throughout the floor, pop into oven for the final 15 min uncovered bake time.
- Baby spinach or chopped spinach – Stir it via at finish with fluffing rice, residual warmth will make it wilt.
- Spicy! Add a squirt of sriracha or dollop of your favorite chilli paste throughout cooking, or stir via a giant handful of chopped kimchi simply earlier than serving.
7. Storage – Keeps for three days within the fridge. Reheat utilizing microwave.
Make forward – Do not assemble forward, as soon as rice is blended with water, bake immediately. Best to cook dinner then reheat (it reheats close to completely, I make fried rice forward on a regular basis for gatherings).
eight. Nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings.
Calories: 454cal (23%)Carbohydrates: 64g (21%)Protein: 20g (40%)Fat: 13g (20%)Saturated Fat: 2g (13%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: fourgSodium: 1016mg (44%)Potassium: 352mg (10%)Fiber: 7g (29%)Sugar: 1g (1%)Vitamin A: 5418IU (108%)Vitamin C: 9mg (11%)Calcium: 82mg (eight%)Iron: 2mg (11%)
Life of Dozer
Weekend automotive issues. Dozer was eager to assist. (Well that’s a giant fats lie! We all know he was simply snuffling round for treats from the highway facet help man.)