How do you make a Lentil Salad irresistible? Load it up with heat cinnamon-laced pumpkin, a handful of greens, a sprinkling of candied walnuts, and end with a honey-spiced crimson wine vinegar dressing.
It’s an enormous pile of vegetable goodness made significantly tasty.
After a (very!) prolonged water break, the inaugural Holiday Salad Marathon has resumed! Today – lentils made fabulous:
Spiced Pumpkin Lentil Salad
I had somebody in my crew make this to see if she favored it as a result of it’s a bit left area – one thing I simply threw collectively someday as a, “Hmm, I reckon this could be tasty …”
In her phrases: “Sorry it took so long, I couldn’t get excited about it … but now I can’t stop eating it!!! OMG!!” (Yes, we’re each gratuitous exclamation mark-users.)
It’s earthy, it’s candy, it’s savoury. There’s nice textural distinction. But most of all, it’s the delicate spicing in it that basically provides curiosity: cinnamon and allspice.
Who knew canned lentils might be so fabulous??!
What goes on this Pumpkin Lentil Salad
Here’s what you want for this salad:
- Lentils – Canned for the categorical possibility, however I’ve additionally embrace notes within the recipe for utilizing dried;
- Pumpkin – Any kind, or butternut squash. Sweet potato would work properly right here too;
- Rocket/arugula – I prefer it for the peppery flavour it provides and in addition the form of the leaves contrasts properly towards the lentils. Baby spinach would additionally work properly, however I’d in all probability slice it a bit to make it simpler to eat with the lentils. Finely sliced kale would additionally work, however marinate it first utilizing the strategy on this recipe (it softens the leaves, and makes it tastier);
- Red onion – For a contact of freshness and chew;
- Thyme – A beautiful, heat and earthy herb that goes properly with all of the flavours occurring on this salad; and
- Spices – Cinnamon and allspice. Some for the pumpkin, some within the dressing.
And right here’s what you want for the dressing:
- Honey – The sweetening agent in addition to for thickening the dressing so it clings to the lentils;
- Red wine vinegar – You can substitute this with white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar and even cider vinegar. The dressing has further flavour added to it, so we may be versatile right here;
- Extra virgin olive oil – The higher the standard, the higher your dressings; and
- Garlic, salt and pepper – Seasonings/flavour.
Optional Extra: Honey-Cinnamon Candied Walnuts
For on a regular basis functions, I might simply end with a handful of plain chopped walnuts.
But if you wish to go aaalllll the way in which, make Honey-Cinnamon Candied Walnuts. It’s that extra-special contact that bumps this salad up into the Company-Worthy class!
All it’s worthwhile to do is toss walnuts with honey, cinnamon and salt, then bake for 15 minutes. Cool to crisp, and also you’re achieved! (Tip: Make further so that you can nibble … chef’s deal with!)
This Lentil Salad is a superb meal-worthy salad possibility or work lunch concept. Meat-free, nutritious, filling, and it retains properly for a number of days.
Plus, I like that it’s an attention-grabbing approach to make use of canned lentils which, let’s face it, isn’t all the time essentially the most inspiring factor within the pantry!! – Nagi x
PS. No video for these Holiday Salad Marathon recipes. But in case you actually need one, pop a request in under. I’d be completely satisfied to make this for lunch any day and shoot it for you.
What is the Holiday Salad Marathon?
This was my inaugural Christmas recipe countdown the place I had deliberate to share 30 salad recipes in a row till Christmas Eve – one thing utterly completely different to individuals’s normal baking countdowns!
Life, nonetheless, received in the way in which and I by no means crossed the end line earlier than Christmas. After an prolonged water break, I’ve lastly resumed!!!
These salads are along with my common three new recipes per week. Because aren’t you bored of the standard tomato-cucumber-lettuce backyard salad routine??
Click right here to see all of the Holiday Salad Marathon recipes up to now!
Honey-Cinnamon Pumpkin Lentil Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Salad meal, Side Dish, Side Salad
Servingsfour – 5 as meal
Tap or hover to scale
Honey Walnuts (non-obligatory, can simply use plain walnuts, Note 2):
Pan-roasted spiced pumpkin:
Toss: Place walnuts in a bowl, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Mix, unfold on paper-lined baking tray.
Bake: Bake at 180°C/350°F (160°C fan) for 15 minutes, tossing as soon as midway. Leave to chill, then use fingers to roughly break walnuts up into barely smaller items.
Dressing: Place elements in a jar and shake properly.
Toss: Place lentils, rocket, crimson onion, thyme and pumpkin in a big bowl. Pour over many of the Dressing, then gently toss.
Plate up: Pile up on serving platter. Sprinkle with candied walnuts. Drizzle over remaining Dressing, then serve!
To cook dinner your individual, you will want 1 cup dried inexperienced or brown lentils. Cook per this recipe (together with flavourings).
2. Walnuts – Candied walnuts provides an additional wow issue right here, nevertheless it’s additionally beautiful with simply plain walnuts (for a faster possibility!). Pecans will work simply as properly. For a non-nut possibility, strive pepitas. Just one thing so as to add some nutty crunch! Textures are all the time good in a salad.
three. Substitutions – numerous potentialities right here, while nonetheless attaining the same stability of flavours!
- Pumpkin – swap with candy potato, winter squash
- Greens – spinach, marinated shredded kale (use this methodology), silverbeet (chard/swiss chard), something that may be sliced so it type of “melds” properly with lentils properly
- Walnuts – per Note 2 above
- Red wine vinegar – every other kind of vinegar that’s not as harsh as plain white vinegar. eg. sherry, white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, even cider vinegar.
four. Storage – Keeps properly for three days. Best to maintain Dressing separate in case you can, however even when dressed, it retains higher than most salads.
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming four servings.
Calories: 427cal (21%)Carbohydrates: 27g (9%)Protein: 5g (10%)Fat: 36g (55%)Saturated Fat: fourg (25%)Sodium: 152mg (7%)Potassium: 466mg (13%)Fiber: threeg (13%)Sugar: 19g (21%)Vitamin A: 6702IU (134%)Vitamin C: 13mg (16%)Calcium: 75mg (eight%)Iron: 2mg (11%)
Life of Dozer
Spied one thing tasty. It wasn’t lentils……