This submit could include Amazon or different affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thai basil hen is a straightforward hen stir fry with a basic Thai taste. Served it in lettuce wraps or over cauliflower rice, it’s one in every of our favourite simple keto dinner recipes. It takes solely 20 minutes to make, begin to end!
I am a Thai meals addict and I know I am not alone. It’s one of the vital fashionable takeout cuisines and with good motive. Every dish merely explodes with that distinctive spicy umami taste.
I have various Thai-inspired recipes, together with keto pad thai, Thai hen soup, and Thai Cucumber Salad. All of them are recipes we make time and again.
I truly created this recipe for keto Thai basil hen again in 2014, and I served it in lettuce wraps. I hadn’t thought of it in fairly a while however was lately impressed to make it once more.
And then I had the basic response that I so typically have: “Dang, this is so good, why don’t I make it more often???”. You’ll be asking your self the exact same factor!
What is Thai basil hen?
Thai basil hen is a basic dish that’s served in lots of Thai eating places. It’s fast to organize and packs a spicy punch. It’s official identify in Thai is pad kra pao gai.
The conventional model makes use of Thai holy basil, slightly than the common Italian-style basil we see in most grocery shops. But Thai holy basil isn’t all the time simple to come back by, so many recipes substitute Thai candy basil as a substitute.
Since I am neither Thai nor that effectively versed in conventional Thai delicacies, I refer you to this text from Eating Thai Food, which explains the standard technique of getting ready Thai Basil Chicken.
For this keto recipe, I modified the strategy in a number of methods. I used no matter Thai basil my native retailer had, which was probably the candy selection. I additionally used gluten-free tamari rather than the oyster sauce and soy sauce, and tossed in some chopped pink pepper for coloration.
And I skipped the sugar altogether as a result of this dish is so flavorful, it doesn’t want it!
How to make keto Thai basil hen
- Prep your substances. Mince the garlic and shallots, crush the chilies (a mortar and pestle works effectively), and chop the hen thighs. Stir fries like this prepare dinner shortly so that you need your entire substances shut at hand, able to go.
- Heat the oil. Get it good and scorching!
- Add the seasonings. The garlic, shallot, and chilies go in first and are cooked solely till aromatic.
- Stir fry the hen. Making a stir fry means standing by, stirring virtually continually, in order that the meals cooks evenly. As lengthy as you narrow the hen into chunk-sized items, it is going to be accomplished in lower than 10 minutes.
- Add the sauces. Fish sauce is a staple of Thai cooking, as is soy sauce, and so they give the recipe the umami taste.
- Stir within the basil. Basil leaves prepare dinner in a short time so that you wish to add them on the very finish, and prepare dinner till they’re simply wilted.
- Serve instantly. We prefer it in lettuce wraps however it’s scrumptious over cauliflower rice too.
Frequently Asked Questions
While it received’t be precisely the identical, you should use standard basil on this dish. I suggest chopping it, as a result of the leaves are a lot bigger than the Thai selection. Chopping it provides you with higher distribution.
Thai chiles, often known as chook’s eye chiles, are skinny, pink, and very spicy. I normally use the dried selection as a result of they’re simpler to come back by. If you’ll be able to’t discover any, attempt utilizing one recent jalapeno, finely minced, and pink pepper flakes to style.
Absolutely! I simply don’t occur to personal one and discover that a big skillet works simply as effectively.
You can, however I wish to level out that coconut aminos truly has extra carbs than soy sauce. It additionally lacks the robust umami taste so the dish received’t be fairly pretty much as good.
You might, however as with all stir fries, it’s going to be finest made recent. The leftovers do make a stunning lunch the subsequent day, although.
More keto takeout favorites
Keto Thai Basil Chicken
Servings: four servings
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- three cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallots minced
- three to four dried Thai chiles, crushed OR 1/four tsp pink pepper flakes
- 1 half lb boneless skinless hen thighs minimize into half inch items
- half medium pink pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/four cup Thai basil leaves packed
- 1/four tsp pepper
- Additional pink pepper flakes to style
Heat the oil in a big sauté pan over medium excessive warmth. When scorching, add the garlic and shallots. Cook about 1 minute, till aromatic. Add the crushed chiles and prepare dinner one other 30 seconds.
Add hen and pink pepper, and stir-fry till the hen is not pink, about 7 minutes. Stir within the fish sauce and tamari.
Stir within the basil and toss to mix. Cook till wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from warmth and sprinkle with pepper. Adjust different seasonings to style.
Serve in lettuce wraps or over cauliflower rice.
Keto Thai Basil Chicken
Amount Per Serving (1 serving = 1/four of recipe)
Calories from Fat 268
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.