Nanaimo Bars – a scrumptious, no-bake dessert bar full of a graham cracker, almond, coconut, and cocoa crust, custard submitting and chocolate ganache.
What Is A Nanaimo Bar?
It has been so enjoyable speaking about Nanaimo Bars on my Instagram the final couple of weeks. To be trustworthy, although, I used to be stunned how many individuals didn’t find out about this scrumptious no-bake dessert. I first discovered about them about 17 years in the past when my husband returned dwelling from dwelling in British Columbia for a few years (earlier than we had been married). He really frolicked within the city of Nanaimo, the place he first discovered about this conventional Canadian no-bake dessert fabricated from a graham cracker, coconut, cocoa and typically nut crust, with a custard filling and chocolate ganache. I bear in mind considering how decadent they sounded, nevertheless it was years into our marriage earlier than I ever tried one.
When I lastly did strive one, I fell in love! The mixture of the bittersweet crust and ganache, with the candy custard filling and the feel simply spoke to me. I then added it to my listing of desserts to make, however I by no means acquired round to it… till final week! I lastly made each the bars and a brand new cake, Nanaimo Bar Cake, they usually’re each extremely scrumptious!
What Ingredients Are In Nanaimo Bars?
Nanaimo Bars are made up of principally frequent elements you’ll be capable to discover at your native grocery retailer. The solely ingredient that is perhaps somewhat arduous to search out domestically (if you happen to’re dwelling within the US) is the Bird’s Custard Powder. There are recipes on the market that use vanilla pudding, however from all of the enter I acquired on-line and from my Canadian pals, Bird’s is a should!
Other elements you’ll want:
- Graham crackers
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Bird’s Custard Powder
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make and Assemble Nanaimo Bars
This no-bake dessert may be whipped up in lower than 30 minutes, and not using a minute of bake time within the oven!
- For the crust: begin by melting the butter in a double boiler. You’ll then whisk within the cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Once the combination is clean and silky, you’ll add the egg, whereas stirring vigorously. The combination will start to thicken barely. At that time, take away the combination from the warmth and add within the graham crackers, coconut, and almonds. Press the crust firmly into an eight″x8″ sq. baking dish and chill whilst you work on the filling.
- For the custard filling: mix all of the elements in a mixing bowl and beat till clean and fluffy. Once the crust not feels heat to the contact, you’ll be able to unfold the filling evenly over the crust. Chill once more whilst you make the ganache.
- For the ganache: mix the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave protected bowl and warmth for about one minute. Stir till clean after which unfold over the filling. Chill yet another time to set the ganache.