Turtle Pie Cake – tender and moist chocolate cake layers with salted caramel, toasted pecans, chocolate ganache and pecan buttercream.
Turtle Pie Cake
Hi mates! Getting again into the groove of weekly desserts and I’m so excited to share a brand new one with you at this time. I hope you really liked the Disney’s Grey Stuff Cake from final week. Today, we’re sticking with chocolate and making my Turtle Pie Cake.
This chocolate cake is a brand new recipe and is stacked with salted caramel, toasted pecans, chocolate ganache and pecan buttercream. It’s critically heaven! So many nice flavors and textures!
This chocolate cake has the same texture to my Malt Chocolate Cake. It’s extremely tender and moist, filled with chocolate taste, however it’s not as wealthy and darkish as my Dark Chocolate Cake you’ll see in plenty of recipes on right here.
To get this lovely quantity and top within the cake, we’re beating the butter, sugar and eggs very well originally – we’re speaking three to five minutes! You’ll discover the colour and texture lighten – that’s an indication you’re doing issues proper. Of course, as soon as we add dry substances, we flip the velocity down and solely combine till the dry substances are included. And then we add a combination of vinegar and baking soda on the finish to assist our cake rise so tall.
To obtain the traditional Turtle Pie flavors and textures, I after all added pecans, caramel and chocolate ganache. However, for those who’ve been round right here some time, I don’t love uncooked nuts in my desserts or fillings. I really like them on their very own, however name me loopy, I simply don’t love them uncooked in my desserts. So, I all the time toast and sweet them. I additionally actually love how making candied nuts give the filling an additional crunch!
In addition to the candied pecans, we’re making my do-it-yourself Salted Caramel and Chocolate Ganache. Both are staples in my kitchen and very easy to make.
A couple of issues to learn about making caramel:
- Once the sugar, water and corn syrup are mixed and the sugar is dissolved, don’t stir. Stirring encourages crystallization. We don’t need that. Just let the combination begin to boil.
- To keep away from the sugar crystalizing alongside the sting of the pan, you may dunk a pastry brush in heat water and evenly brush alongside the sugar line.
- Once the combination begins turning yellow, the colour modifications fast. Don’t stroll away for lengthy.
- Look for a caramel-amber shade and temperature of about 375 levels F.
- Heat your cream first, earlier than including it to the sugar combination. This helps it mix and blend higher collectively, with out the sugar combination turning right into a sugar ball.
For the pecan buttercream, we’re making do-it-yourself pecan butter from among the toasted pecans. You are going to like this! The taste is unbelievable, because of that further step of toasting the pecans. You’ll make this buttercream much like the way you make my Peanut Butter Buttercream. It’s butter, powdered sugar, pecan butter, and a few heavy whipping cream. Easy peasy!
CAKE MAKING TIPS
Don’t neglect to comply with my go-to suggestions for getting your desserts to rise and bake nicely:
- Preheat your oven for 30 minutes previous to baking.
- Use good high quality pans like Fat Daddio.
- Spray your pans with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Don’t overmix your cake batter when you add the dry substances.
- Use room temperature moist substances.
- Use recent baking powder.
- Bake till a toothpick inserted within the heart of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs on it.