Vegetable Samosa Pie – Everything you’re keen on about Samosas…in large pie kind! Oh – and with helpful retailer purchased puff pastry and a great deal of further veg. 😂 Excellent centrepiece vegetarian dinner recipe. Something completely different but acquainted, completely scrumptious with a little bit of (rustic) wow issue.
Those who tried the Eggplant Curry I shared final week will love the widespread components on this!
Vegetable Samosa Pie
I don’t maintain this vegetarian pie to be in anyway genuine Indian in its assemble (BIG), the filling (VEG loaded!) and using puff pastry as a substitute of do-it-yourself samosa pastry (helpful!).
But I do hope these of Indian background can recognise that I’ve stayed respectable of conventional Samosas through the use of genuine Samosa filling spices.
And whereas this may look a far cry from these little hand-held, deep fried Samosa pastries everyone knows and love a lot, only one chunk is all it would take so that you can suppose Ah! NOW I get why she calls it a Samosa pie!
What you want – Vegetables for the Filling
The components checklist for this Vegetable Samosa Pie is pretty intensive, however that’s partly as a result of I’ve put in an honest number of greens. But in actual fact, apart from potato and onion, all of the greens are customisable. I may’ve simply made a zucchini and potato filling to make it look far easier! 😂
So listed below are the greens I’ve used:
You can substitute all of the greens besides potato and onion. Potato is used to bind the filling. Onion is for important flavour!
What you want – Filling Spices
And listed below are the flavourings for the filling. Don’t be alarmed for those who don’t recognise a few of these – I’ve obtained choices for you!
- Black mustard seeds – they seem like poppyseeds however have a slight wasabi-like chunk to them. And they odor Indian, not Japanese! Not spicy, extra a recent zing. It’s about $1.50 in small packs at Indian grocery shops – I’m going to Indian Emporium in Dee Why on the Northern Beaches, Sydney. Also offered within the Indian meals part at some Woolworths (Australia) $1.70, and likewise offered on-line – small, mild pack so postage must be minimal! Also utilized in an Eggplant Curry I shared final week (huge hit with readers!) and Dal.
- Curry leaves – think about curry powder, in recent curry leaf kind! Adds unbelievable curry fragrance into something it’s utilized in. Fairly accessible these days for Sydney-siders, offered at Harris Farms, most Coles and Woolworths. I intend to discover a plant! They maintain for ages within the fridge – as in a number of weeks. This too is utilized in Eggplant Curry and Dal. Throw in 10 or so when cooking Curried Rice, or into this Indian Chickpea Curry or Vegetable Curry – it would actually take it to a brand new degree! Substitute: dried curry leaves (not fairly the identical, but it surely’s one of the best sub) or Garam Masala powder;
- The different spices – nothing out of the bizarre right here, all the pieces you discover at native grocery shops; and
- Tomato paste – for just a little flavour and assist thicken the liquid.
I’ve taken the trail of least resistance with this Vegetable Samosa Pie and used retailer purchased puff pastry. Shortcrust / pie crust pastry may also work a deal with. And for those who actually need to impress, strive do-it-yourself shortcrust pastry.
How to make Vegetable Samosa Pie
The greens are simmered with the spices till mushy and aromatic, then it’s all blended up with mashed potato to make a giant pot of juicy, heavenly smelling filling. Then we merely pile this right into a pastry lined pie dish (I like to make use of a giant one), high with pastry then bake till puffed and golden!
OK, I realise that abstract is VERY condensed, this pie does take time to come back collectively.
But BOY is it price it. Just take a look at what comes out of the oven! ↓↓↓
I prefer to serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt, simply so as to add an additional dimension to the dish.
As for a aspect salad? Na! I’ve been having a (huge!) slice of this Vegetable Samosa Pie for dinner, with no aspect salads or something. This is a VEGETARIAN pie. It is jam filled with greens – nearly 12 cups, to be actual! (PS Onion counts in the direction of your veg consumption – do you know that? 😇)
However, for those who had been to serve this at a dinner with household or mates and also you needed so as to add some extra to the desk, I’d most likely add a few these salads:
Lastly – I realise this recipe has a lengthier components checklist and extra steps than my typical fast ‘n easy Monday night dinner offerings. But this pie is BIG. It will serve 6 to 8. So it’s dinner at present and lunch tomorrow. Worth making! – Nagi x
Watch make it
Vegetable Samosa Pie
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hr 40 minutes
Cool filling: 30 minutes
Servings6 – eight folks
Tap or hover to scale
- three tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp black mustard seeds (Note 1)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (Note 2)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (Note 2)
- 15 curry leaves , recent (Note three)
- 1 tbsp garlic , finely grated
- 1 tbsp ginger , finely grated
- 1 onion , finely chopped (brown, white, yellow)
- half of tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp curry powder (Note four)
- half of tsp chilli powder , regulate spiciness to style ((pure floor, not US Chili Spice Mi, sub cayenne)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tomato * , chopped into 1.5cm / half of” items
- 1 zucchini * , chopped into 1.5cm / half of” items
- 1 carrot * , chopped into 1.5cm / half of” items
- half of cauliflower * (small), lower/damaged into small florets (~ three cups)
- half of tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen inexperienced peas *
Bring a pot of water to the boil then cook dinner potato for 12 – 15 minutes till very mushy.
Drain, mash and put aside.
Sizzling spices: Heat oil in a dutch oven or pot over excessive warmth. Add black mustard seeds, cumin and fennel seeds. Let them sizzle for 15 seconds – cautious, they could pop!
Curry leaves: Then add curry leaves and stir for 15 seconds.
Aromatics: Add garlic, ginger and onion. Cook for four to five minutes till onion is tinged with gold.
Tomato: Add tomato paste and tomato, cook dinner for 30 seconds.
Spices: Add curry powder, turmeric and chilli. Cook for 30 seconds.
Most Veg: Add zucchini, carrot and cauliflower. Stir nicely to coat within the spice paste.
Water: Add water, salt and pepper. Stir, deliver to a simmer then put the lid on and scale back warmth to medium low (so it is simmer gently).
Cook & scale back: Cook for 15 minutes till greens are mushy. Then take away lid and simmer for five minutes to scale back liquid a bit.
Add mash: Remove from range. Add peas and potato, combine by way of nicely.
Taste: Taste and add extra salt and pepper if wanted.
Cool: Place lid on and funky for at the least 30 minutes (even in a single day is okay).
ASSEMBLY & BAKING:
Grease a big pie dish with butter, or oil spray (Note 6). Drape in a puff pastry sheet.(I do not blind bake right here – see Note 5)
Fill with Filling – barely mounded is okay.
Fold within the corners of the puff pastry sheet.
Top with puff pastry sheet – flip 90 levels to the bottom puff pastry sheet (see picture).
Fold the overhang puff pastry underneath itself – no have to be neat right here, this can be a rustic pie!
Egg wash: Brush with egg, lower a 2cm / 1″ cross within the center (to let steam escape).
Bake 50 to 60 minutes, till the highest could be very deep golden and flaky.
Stand 5 minutes then slice to serve. A dollop of plain yogurt goes nicely with this!
1. Black mustard seeds – key ingredient for genuine flavour. Look like poppyseeds, wasabi chunk, Indian aroma! ~ $1.50 in small packs at Indian grocery shops (my native is Indian Emporium in Dee Why, Sydney). Also offered within the Indian meals part at some Woolworths (Australia) $1.70, in any other case strive on-line.
Substitutes (beginning with finest):
- Brown mustard seeds
- Yellow mustard seeds
- half of tsp mustard powder*
- 1 half of tsp Garam Masala* (completely different flavour, however is meant to make up for absence)
* Add with curry powder in recipe
2. Cumin seeds – can sub with three/four tsp cumin powder however add it with the curry powder.
Fennel seeds – can sub with half of tsp powder, however add with curry powder.
three. Fresh curry leaves – one other key ingredient for genuine flavour! Sub 10 dried curry leaves. Fairly accessible these days for Sydney-siders, offered at Harris Farms, most Coles and Woolworths.
- dried curry leaves (not fairly the identical, but it surely’s one of the best sub);
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder (add it with remainder of spices).
Also used within the lately shared Eggplant curry.
four. Curry powder – any curry powder is okay right here, I take advantage of Clives of India or Keens. Don’t use HOT until you realize you’ll be able to deal with the warmth, or scale back chilli powder.
5. Puff pastry right here in Australia is available in 20cm/eight” sq. sheets, recipe calls for two sheets.
Can be substituted with pie crust or shortcrust pastry, something appropriate for a pie like this. Filo would work too – brush every layer with butter and use maybe 6 to eight layers (enclose it like a parcel).
No blind baking – Usually, I blind bake pastry bases, however as a result of I am going fairly rustic and primary right here, I have not bothered so it is not crispy – but it surely does cook dinner by way of within the comparatively lengthy cook dinner time. It does not trouble me right here (the filling flavour and crispy high actually is the main focus) and likewise I’m not satisfied that the bottom would keep crispy even for those who did blind bake it as a result of the filling is juicy. But if you wish to blind bake, do as follows:
- Puff pastry (per Chicken Pot Pies course, within the notes): Line dish with puff pastry, place in oven at 180C/350F. After 10 min or each time the partially cooked base begins to puff up, simply push it again down. Repeat as soon as extra or as required to cease the puffing (it does not take a lot). Then as soon as the pastry is golden, take away from oven and let cool. Proceed with recipe.
- Shortcrust / pie crust pastry: Follow instructions on this Meat Pie recipe.
6. Large pie dish diameter – rim: 24cm/9.5″, base: 20cm / 8″ base, peak: 4cm / 1.7″.
It may also match a 20cm / eight” sq. dish however it will likely be a bit flatter (bonus: extra puff pastry floor space – yay!).
If you employ a 9″/23cm pie dish, you may have a bit leftover so make just a little one in a ramekin.
You may additionally do handheld triangles utilizing puff pastry – seal the sides utilizing the egg.
7. Storage – maintain leftovers within the fridge for four to five days. To reheat and retain crispy high – stick a strip of foil over uncovered filling (so it does not dry out), then bake within the oven at 180C/350F for 10 – 15 minutes till the highest is crusty and the filling is sizzling.
If you microwave, I take no duty in your disappointment over the soggy puff pastry.
eight. Nutrition per serving, assuming 6 (that is a BIG meal dimension slice, no sides required!).
Calories: 385kcal (19%)Carbohydrates: 45g (15%)Protein: eightg (16%)Fat: 20g (31%)Saturated Fat: 9g (56%)Sodium: 533mg (23%)Potassium: 880mg (25%)Fiber: 7g (29%)Sugar: 6g (7%)Vitamin A: 2304IU (46%)Vitamin C: 115mg (139%)Calcium: 70mg (7%)Iron: threemg (17%)
Life of Dozer
Dozer on website on the new RTE HQ – kitchen getting into at present! (PS HQ is a elaborate description for my little decrease floor ground to be transformed right into a devoted work area 😂)