Vegetable Tagine is a vegetarian Moroccan stew loaded with heady heat spices. Make this with any veg you have got – simply don’t skimp on the spices!!
This is a kind of hidden gems that’s meat free, gluten free, low carb, low calorie, extraordinarily filling AND tasty. Wait – it’s even vegan. Yay vegans!
Last week, I requested readers what sort of recipes they’d prefer to see extra of on RecipeTin Eats this 12 months. The themes in demand had been clear – extra meat free, extra low calorie, extra low carb.
BUT nonetheless insanely tasty in fact! And if it might be made in a single pot, be tremendous straightforward, tremendous fast that may be simply dandy. 😂
Though I wouldn’t classify it as tremendous fast, calling for an excellent 45 minutes prepare dinner time to make the greens tender and soak up all these great flavours, it’s definitely very straightforward.
So – that is the primary recipe I’m delivering pursuant to reader demand!
Ingredients in Vegetable Targine
When you see the load of spices on this, you’re in for a flavourful dish. But isn’t it good that they’re all on a regular basis spices yow will discover on the grocery retailer? 🙂
While this has a beneficiant quantity of spices in it, it’s not the kapow! flavour such as you get in Indian curries. It’s extra of a heat spice combine.
The cayenne does add a contact of spiciness, so simply skip it when you don’t need any warmth in it in any respect!
And right here’s what goes within the Vegetable Tagine. This one’s all about utilizing what you’ve acquired, so don’t be involved when you don’t have all of the greens!
Here’s what I used:
- chickpeas – that is the one starch on this dish, provides a pleasant nutty texture and bulks it out. Substitute with another beans;
- lemon – contemporary of completion, each the zest and juice;
- onion & garlic – the flavour base; and
- greens – butternut pumpkin/squash, capsicum/bell peppers, inexperienced beans, eggplant (aubergine), cauliflower and tomato (which kind of turns into a part of the sauce). This is a pleasant mixture of colors and textures that’s in season on the similar time, making this a terrifically economical dish.
How to make Vegetable Tagine
A key step right here to extract essentially the most flavour out of the greens is to pan roast every vegetable individually to get some color on them earlier than simmering with closely spice doused liquid. Because in any case, as I at all times say, color = flavour!
- Saute onion and garlic first – ordinary flavour base;
- Pan-roast every vegetable individually, simply to get some color on them. We don’t prepare dinner them by way of, simply give them a blush of color;
- Cook the tomato for a minute – this successfully deglazes the pan (ie will get all of the tasty stuff off the underside of the pan from sautéing the veg) – then add spices and prepare dinner for a minute to let the flavours bloom;
- Add all of the greens again in in addition to water. The water ought to nearly cowl the greens, however not fairly, remembering that the greens will sink as they prepare dinner. If you add an excessive amount of water, you’ll find yourself with a watery sauce;
- Bring to a simmer;
- Cook, coated, within the oven for 30 minutes – the simplest means, as a result of it requires no stirring. You may additionally simmer on the range over an excellent low warmth, however stir gently so the greens don’t flip into mush;
- Add the inexperienced beans and chickpeas, then simmer on the range for 15 minutes to scale back the liquid. At this stage, the pumpkin and cauliflower are fairly smooth, semi breaking down, which helps thicken the liquid. It shouldn’t be soupy, nevertheless it must be brothy. Trust me once I say – you need that broth!!
- Finally, stir by way of lemon zest and lemon juice. A contemporary of completion works wonders right here to carry the dish, because it does with many others from a Lentil Soup to Magic Broccoli (aptly named as such as a result of it’s so easy however so good!).
I really like how the broth is of course thickened by the greens which might be smooth cooked in order that they ever so barely disintegrate into the sauce. Flavour, flavour, flavour!
What to serve with Vegetable Tagine
For a conventional expertise, serve with couscous. I’ve put the publish up individually because it’s a helpful fast no-cook facet dish for a lot of dishes, not simply Morrocan or Middle Eastern.
With all of the flavours occurring within the tagine, a plain couscous can be simply positive, however I’m not one to say no to a sprinkling of contemporary herbs, or dried fruit and nuts!
I’ve additionally added a dollop of yogurt, a pleasant cooling creamy contact that compliments the heady mixture of spices properly. A sprinkle of predictable coriander/cilantro and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a dusting of additional spice. Because, properly, why not? 😇 – Nagi x
Watch learn how to make it
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hr
Middle Eastern, Moroccan
Servingseight – 10 individuals
Tap or hover to scale
Recipe video above. A vegetarian Moroccan stew loaded with heady heat spices, stuffed with tender greens. Make this with any veg you have got – simply do not skimp on the spices!!
Tagine (Note 1):
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- half of purple onion sliced (sub any onion)
- 1 garlic clove , finely minced
- 800g/1.6lb butternut pumpkin / squash (half of small), peeled, reduce into 2.5cm / 1″ cubes
- 1 small eggplant , reduce into 2.5cm / half of″ cubes
- half of cauliflower , small, reduce into chew measurement florets
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper , reduce into 2.5cm / 1″ items (purple or yellow)
- 2 tomatoes , seeds eliminated, reduce into 1cm / 1/three″ cube
- three half of cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- half of tsp black pepper
- 400g/ 14oz can chickpeas , drained
- 200g / 60z inexperienced beans , reduce into three.5cm / 1.5″ items (~2 cups reduce)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Mix Tagine Spice Mix collectively.
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a big heavy based mostly pot over medium excessive warmth. Add garlic and onion, prepare dinner till onion is wilted (~ 1 half of minutes), then take away into a big bowl. Scrape out garlic bits as properly (so they do not burn).
Add butternut and prepare dinner, stirring for three minutes, or till flippantly golden on most sides. Remove into similar bowl.
Add 2 tbsp olive oil. Cook eggplant for three minutes till tinged with gold on most sides, take away into similar bowl.
Add 1 tbsp oil if pot is trying dry. Add capsicum and cauliflower, prepare dinner for two minutes till the cauliflower is a bit golden on the perimeters. Remove into bowl.
Add tomato and prepare dinner for 1 minute. Add Spice Mix, stir for 1 minute.
Add greens, water (it ought to nearly cowl the greens, they may sink), salt and pepper. Give it a stir, carry to simmer on the range, then switch to the oven for 30 minutes (or you would simmer on low range, however stir gently in any other case veg might breakdown an excessive amount of).
Remove from oven, add beans and chickpeas. Simmer for 15 minutes uncovered on the range on medium low warmth to prepare dinner the beans and cut back the sauce.
Stir by way of lemon juice and zest. The concept right here is that a number of the veg (butternut, cauliflower) breaks down a bit to barely thicken the sauce – it will get thicker in a single day.
For a conventional expertise, serve over couscous. Otherwise, attempt white, brown, basmati rice or quinoa, or serve simply as is sort of a chunky stew. Or for a low carb choice attempt cauliflower rice! I prefer to prime mine with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkle of almonds, coriander/cilantro and pinch of paprika or cayenne.
It’s additionally intentional that cauliflower and pumpkin kind of begin of breakdown a bit – this really acts as a pure thickener for the sauce.
2. Storage – retains 5 days within the fridge. Spritz of contemporary lemon juice will assist carry it, the longer you retain it!
three. Nutrition per serving assuming eight serves, tagine solely (ie no couscous) and no toppings. This actually is so filled with flavour it may be served like a very hearty stew-soup, simply by itself.
Calories: 200cal (10%)Carbohydrates: 26g (9%)Protein: 5g (10%)Fat: 10g (15%)Saturated Fat: 1g (6%)Sodium: 708mg (31%)Potassium: 780mg (22%)Fiber: eightg (33%)Sugar: 7g (eight%)Vitamin A: 8994IU (180%)Vitamin C: 64mg (78%)Calcium: 98mg (10%)Iron: threemg (17%)
Life of Dozer
Really doesn’t like his every day post-beach showers. Kind of ironic, isn’t it, that he spent the final hour swimming?